Dear HAPA members & friends of HAPA
The HAPA executive committee invites you to join us for our 12th HAPA ANNUAL meeting in Honolulu, Hawaii on Tuesday, May 17th 2011, at the Hilton Hawaiian Village from 6:00PM to 8:00PM.
We have a very special presentation by:
Paul N. Barkopoulos, MD, MPH.
”New Directions & Controversies in Psychopharmacology:
Neuroprotection & Neurogenesis?”
Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry,
Geffen UCLA School of Medicine
Attending Physician UCLA Medical Center
As you know, on May 19th 2009 HAPA celebrated its 10th Anniversary. HAPA was founded in May 1999. That was the end of the 20th century during the waning days of the “Glory & Power” of both the US and the APA. HAPA is an APA affiliate organization. Our mission is to foster close communication & networking among psychiatrists in the US, Greece and in the Greek Diaspora.
During its first 10 years, HAPA has achieved a number of goals:
1) HAPA has made possible post residency graduate fellowship training at major medical centers in the US for two young Greek psychiatrists Styliani Kaliora, MD, a fellow in NYC under George Petrides, MD and Antonis Politis, MD a fellow under Constantine Lyketsos, MD in Baltimore.
2) HAPA set up the website: <www.hellenic-psych.org>
3) HAPA started by publishing a Newsletter. Fiscal limitations stopped the publication of the HAPA Newsletter after the first five years,
4) HAPA has been organizing yearly annual meetings on the Tuesday of the APA Annual meeting. 10 out of our 11 HAPA Annual meetings featured both established and emerging researchers and clinicians of Greek origin or from Greece or the Greek Diaspora,
5) HAPA participated as a cosponsor in the Hellenic Psychiatric Association Congress meetings in Greece and in the various meetings of the Pan-Hellenic General Hospital Psychiatric Society in Greece and in The Four Seasons of Psychiatry (http://www.4sp.gr) of the International Society of Quality of Life and Medical Practice. In addition, members of HAPA have published papers in the English version of the Hellenic General Hospital Psychiatry Journal http://www.psychiatryjournal.gr/.
Now in the 2010 Decade, facing the new realities of globalization, multiculturalism and economic crisis, HAPA as a very small nonprofit membership organization is totally dues-dependent with no other outside income. HAPA has moved to conduct its business thru the internet, phone and our website. HAPA has never had any paid staff. HAPA has always functioned through the volunteer work of its executive officers. Our dues have stayed very low $52.00 per year for full members and $27.00 for members in training (MIT).
You can mail in your dues directly to our HAPA Treasurer:
George Fouras, MD: 304 Los Palmos Dr., San Francisco, CA 94127 or can pay by credit card directly on the HAPA Website: <www.hellenic-psych.org> by Paypal.
Starting with the 2010 HAPA Annual meeting our Tuesday HAPA Annual meeting changed to 6:00-8:00PM followed by an informally organized after-meeting, Dutch Treat, dinner at a local restaurant for all who pre-register. The 2010 New Orleans meeting was very successful. Check out the Minutes of the 11th Annual 2010 Meeting on our website www.hellenic-phych.org
We look forward to seeing you in Hawaii.
Make your reservations NOW
For the APA Annual meeting go to: www.psych.org
Early Bird Registration starts November 2, 2010- January 3,2011?
Advance Registration: January 4, 2011- April 8, 2011
To register for the 12th HAPA Annual Meeting and join our after meeting dinner, please email: email@example.com or fax: 310-454-1039. Visit our website and pay your $52.00 dues on line www.hellenic-psych.org HAPA is your organization and needs your support to continue its work.
With Best Wishes
Happy Holidays, have a Healthy & Productive 2011
Emmanuel Cassimatis, MD, HAPA President
Maria T. Lymberis, MD, HAPA Founder & Past President